Sunday, April 10, 2016

Carson Valley Veterinary Hospital


I arrived in Nevada August 16, 2015 and I'm leaving April 15, 2016. I remember the week before I left Georgia I was having doubts about coming.  I almost didn't come, looking back now I am so glad that I did. I love Nevada.  I don't regret anything that happened here. My experience here has strengthened my testimony of how the Lord always has a plan for us. 
I expected to leave Nevada with a husband, but instead I'm leaving with a dog, I guess that's what Heavenly Father thinks I need more. 




VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED>>> GRAPHIC MATERIAL 

Part of my internship was to take pictures of everything that was I was doing at the vet, so I have a bunch. I know some of them are gross, but its nice to be able to share a little bit of what I did for the past 8 months with you.  

Carson Valley Veterinary Hospital 


 



This dog tried to jump over a fence but didn't make it all the way. She made a  full recovery.
This is Hostess, I'm the only person that she bites.




Akayla ( the people I live with's Husky)

Colorado was the first surgery I got to scrub into.  He was obstructed (the dog ate a stuff animal and it was blocking his intestines up), This is the day after his surgery,




Boston Terrier Pups- C-section 



 Tylar and I took the dog's for a hike on our day off. While they were running about in the sage brush, Payten got her ear caught on something and tore it open. We ran down the mountain and spent the next few hours of our day off at the vet.







  

The couple from California brought in these two dogs, Zoe and Hudson,  to be euthanized for aggression. Zoe was 10 months old and Hudson was a year. I was in the back of the hospital clipping a dog's toenail when a bunch of people came asking if anyone would take these dogs so they didn't have to be put to sleep. Since I have a big mouth and blabbed all the time that I was the only one in the whole hospital that didn't have any pets, of course everyone was looking at me. I reluctantly said I would take one of them if someone would take the other one, just until we could find permanent homes. The owners were extremely grateful. Before I left he hospital I asked everyone else if they wanted her and I called the shelter. No one did, so I took her home. After 2 days of having her I was attached. So that's how Zoe became Dixie and how I got a dog.  My roommate in Idaho took the boy so they get to hang out again when I get back up there.




Hudson  and Dixie

We like our lunch breaks on the bench. Now every time we pass a bench, she jumps up on it. 

 My co-worker, Paula, fostered Hudson until Lexi could take him. When we found a day that worked for all of us we met in Elko, NV to hand Hudson over.

Sophia and Dixie










More lunch breaks

 My main doctor I worked with was Dr. Jackie Koster. She just graduated vet school in May, 2015  and is only 26 years old. Getting put on her team was a huge blessing. She sat down and talked to me about all the ins and outs of being a vet. She was always willing to teach and never got annoyed with my endless stream of questions.  

 

 

Our surgery day was every other Friday. I was terrified of surgery for the longest time, but I told myself that if I was every going to be comfortable with it then I just had to buck up and jump in. It's my favorite day of the week now.










Blue was one of our neuters that day, He was not very fond of the cone.

More C-section pups



This cat came in for a ruptured abscess on the top of her head. The owners couldn't afford much so we had to clean it without sedation, this technique is called the "Kitty Burrito"


Holding off the leg for sedation



Checking the ears while the pet is sedated.

This dog came in with a lacerated paw pad. We tried to wrap it, but it immediately bled through so we ended up having to suture it up.


 My Team: Kate, myself and Jackie.... and Dixie



 This dog came in, because it was lethargic, wobbly, and and had an extremely high fever. We decided to do an exploratory surgery that night. While he was getting prepped for surgery he had hemorrhagic diarrhea and coded. We administered CPR for 20 minutes before we announced him dead. I was in charge of timing for the chest compressions. I do feel bad about taking  pictures during a code, but I have them now so here they are. 

Surgery Prep





We had an emergency come in, because this dog had been bitten in the crotch area to say the least. He was bleeding every where but was trying to attack us. We quickly sedated him and then checked out the damage. He had a laceration on his penis that had to be sutured up. 

I'm pretty sure this is more detail than anyone reading this wants to see, but I wanted to included everything, even the gross cases.  





This kitty was abandoned by her mom so we were fostering her.


Dental cleaning

This Sage and she has ringworm that she had so lovingly shared with me twice now. I had to do a cat shave and a lime/sulfur dip on her. 




We did a pregnant cat spay. This is one of the fetuses. These always make me sad

My bestie Tylar
Blood Transfusion


I was giving this dog chemo. She was so sweet. I could just tell he felt so sick. She didn't want to be left alone either. Every time I sat with her she would put her paw in my hand.





 Radiology





This is me pretending to know what I'm doing in Ultrasound

This is a doctor actually reading an ultrasound

 Sugar gliders!!!





More lunch breaks

Removing a Spleen


Anesthetizing a dog for and ACL surgery

Dixie and Akayla














































No comments:

Post a Comment